FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
2. What if I have a gift voucher to use? To redeem your gift voucher you can book online, call the office, or e-mail us and we will book your tour. Expired gift vouchers cannot be honored.
3. How fast do the horses go? On average a horse pulling a carrige at a walk will go 1 mile per every 40 minutes.
4. Where do the carriages go? Tours all start at Monument Circle. Carriages stay within the mile square. All 50 min tours have the choice of going to Lockerbie Square or the Canal. All 25 min tours have the choice of the North Route or South Route. North Route goes by the parks along North Meridian and Pennsylvania, World War Memorial, and various statues/fountains. South Route goes by the State Capitol Building, Convetion Center, Arts Garden, and the hustle and bustle of the restaurants and hotels. **THESE ROUTES ARE OUR STANDARD ROUTES WE TRY TO STICK TO, BUT ALL ROUTES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO TRAFFIC, EVENTS ETC**
5.What lights will we see at Christmas? The Circle is decorated with lights, and there are are few trees scattered around, however the route we use is not always decorated. The city dictates how and where holiday lights are displayed. We never know from one year to the next what decor may or may not be displayed.
12.What if its raining???All carriages have tops and side curtains. Carriages are not watertight so if rain is emminent please dress accordingly. If it is raining but not storming and we feel conditions are safe we will be operating. If conditions deteriorate we will attempt to notify you as soon as possible if you have made a reservation. * We reserve the right to cancel our service at anytime and without notice due to weather.*We will not endanger our staff, horses, or customers. This can be an inconvienence and we are sorry when this happens. However, Indiana is know for extreme weather changes that can happen quickly without warning. Thank You
13. What time do the carriages start?In season (March to December), tours begin at 6pm Wednesday through Friday and 4pm on Saturday and Sunday. During football season and certain holidays, those times may change. Any firework displays, street closings, or Monument Circle closings may also effect our hours of operation. Weather and demand determine how late we operate. Reservations booked online will show hours available.
14. Where do carriages pick up and drop off?All tours pick up and drop off at Monument Circle. The stand location for GPS is 1 Monument Circle. Our carriage stand is located outside the pillars on Monument Circle across from AES building, Hilbert Circle Theatre, Starbucks, and Rocket Fizz Candy Store. Any other pick up or drop off is a custom ride and must be booked through the office. We can not gurarantee that we can pick you up or drop you off at your desired location.
15. May we have beverages on the carriage?You may bring a beverage if it is in a closed container, such as a cup with a lid. No bottles or glass containers are allowed. You may have an alcoholic beverage as well. However, we do not serve or sell any type of beverages.
16. Do you supply blankets?We keep blankets on the carriage when the weather is cold. However, you may wish to bring your own. We always recommend that you check the weather and dress appropriately for your tour.
17. Are the carriages heated?No, the carriages are not heated. We enclose all carriages with clear panels that do not obstruct your view of the city to block wind and extreme weather when needed. We always recommend that you check the weather and dress appropriately for your tour. 18. Are the carriages and horses safe to tour with?Our horses are highly trained and our drivers are professional livestock handlers. The safest routes are chosen for our tours. Carriages are routinely inspected by qualified personnel.
19. I noticed that you only offer 25 min tours. What if we want a longer tour? This is so we do not overbook our carriages. If you wish to take a 50 min tour, you can book a carriage back to back if the time slots are available. Example: Book a 6:00 and 6:30 time slot.
20. What if my reservation needs to be canceled at the last minute?You can cancel your reservation up to 24 hours in advance online or through the office during office hours. If either party cancels your reservation we do not offer refunds. A credit will be added to your account so that you can use it for a future ride. Do not reply to email appointment reminders. **If you do not notify the office that you need to reschedule then you will be marked as a no show and not recieve your credit for a future ride.**
21.What if I have a reservation and my carriage is late?We do our best to navigate traffic with the welfare of our horses in mind. Unfortunately, there may be times when we will be late for your appointment. Some situations are out of our control due to streets being closed and events going on in the downtown area. Be assured, you will still receive your full 25 min carriage tour.
22. Are same day online reservations available?Online reservations must be booked 24 hours in advance. When carriages are at their stands, our reservation book is closed. You still have the option for walk-up rides on a first come, first served basis. In season March to December same day reservations may be made by phone during office hours.
23. Is your pricing per couple, per carriage, or...?Our prices are per carriage with carriages holding up to 6 average sized adults. 4 adults fit more comfortably and with more room. Children 3 and under may sit on a lap if the carriage is full however, there is a limit of 2.
24. I am at Monument Circle and Blue Ribbon Carriages is not here. Why?Periodically the city closes our carriages stands without notice. If you have a reservation we will attempt to notify you by e-mail, text, or phone call for an alternate pick up location. Please make sure we have a way to contact you prior to your ride time. We also may not be downtown due to slow business. If our carriages are not picking up rides then we will leave downtown despite our business hours. If there are long periods of heavy rain or severe weather we might cancel our shift. 25. How do I book a pick up or drop off that is NOT on Monument Circle? What is a custom ride?A custom ride is any pick up or drop off from any location other than Monument Circle. Custom rides are not offered from Thanksgiving until January 1st. Custom rides can only be booked in season (March to the day before Thanksgiving) Carriages must stay within the mile square of downtown. (North, South, East, and West Street). We are not able to go to all places within the mile square so we can not guarantee we will be able to fulfill your request.
26. How do I book a special event such as a wedding, parade, or other on location events? What is a special event?
Email us at brcarriages.com with your name, day, date, and time of event. A special event is any request for a carriage outside of our normal operational hours or a carriage needed at any location outside the mile square of downtown Indianapolis. Special events outside of the mile square of downtown Indianapolis are hauling events. For these events where we must haul a horse and carriage to you. We do not drive our horse and carriage from the mile square to areas outside the mile square.
27. What is the mile square? The mile square is boarded by the following streets..North St., South St. West St, and East St. There are very few exceptions to our carriages crossing outside these borders. For areas outside the mile square refer to hauling events.
28. How is payment accepted?To book in advance, via phone or our website, payment is made by a debit or credit card upon booking. All other rides are paid at time of service to the carriage driver by cash or credit card.
29. Is it customary to tip our driver?Yes, our prices do not include a tip. A customary tip is typically 18-20%.
30. When are tours available? Wednesday-Sunday, weather permitting, and within season (Typically March-December). We are generally on Monument Circle starting at 6pm Wednesday through Friday and at 4pm Saturday and Sunday.
31. Do your carriages light up?All of our carriages light up and are generally lit at sunset. However, our Cinderella style carriage is the iconic glowing carriage that you see downtown at night. If you want to insure a lighted carriage please book after sunset.
32. I booked a reservation but wish to change my ride time. Is this possible?If you booked online, you are able to change your reservation by using the login information set up while booking your reservation. We can not guarantee that the time slot/day you are wanting to change it to is available. However, the calendar will bring up all available dates/times. You must make changes 24 hours in advance. If you made a reservation through the office you can call or e-mail to change your reservation date/time. This must be done during office hours or 24 hours in advance by e-mail.
33. What if we have more than 6 people?Carriages are designed to hold 4 people comfortably, but can fit up to 6 average-sized adults. 2 children, 3 and under may be allowed on laps if there are already 6 people. If you have more people then stated above you may book an additional carriage. OR Perhaps you would be more comfortable in our Big Blue Wagon. It is lots of fun and holds 6-8 adults or children. It has clear side panels if the weather is bad, a cool sound system, and is ultra comfortable with its soft padded bench seats. Ideal for large groups! (We do not always operate this carriage so if it is not online it will most likely not be operating)
34. Can we book more than 1 carriage?Yes, you can book more than one carriage as long as the time slots by reservation are open. However, please note the carriages generally run on slightly different times so expecting them to go on tour wagon-train style is highly unlikely.
35. Where do you haul your carriages for weddings or parades, etc?Special events outside of the mile square of downtown Indianapolis are hauling events where we must haul a horse and carriage to your location. We will travel within 30 miles of 1 Monument Circle with our truck and trailer. Please mapquest or google maps your event address to 1 Monument Circle to make sure your event is within 30 miles before calling or emailing us.
We go to most locations within the 465 interstate loop and some just outside the loop.
Places we do NOT cover: Anderson, Terre Haute, Muncie, Lebanon, Greenfield, Columbus, Bloomington, Rockville, Kokomo.